How do we use your information?
VWFS will only process information that is necessary for the purpose for which it has been collected. You will always have the option to opt out of receiving marketing communications from us and you can withdraw your consent or object at any time. We will never send you unsolicited ‘junk’ email or communications, or share your personal information with anyone else who might.
There are various ways in which we may use or process your personal information. We list these below:
Where you have provided your consent, we may use and process your information to contact you from time to time about promotions, events, products, services or information which we think may be of interest to you.
You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us on the details stated in the section below titled How can you manage the information we hold about you?) or, in relation to any marketing messages you receive, by using the unsubscribe option included in those messages.
We may use and process your personal information where this is necessary to perform a contract with you, for example, if you are a finance customer, to enable us to manage your account, including responding to your enquiries and complaints and to recover debts.
We may use and process your personal information as set out below where it is necessary for us to carry out activities for which it is in our legitimate interests as a business to do so.
We may also contact you from time to time about promotions, events, products, services or information which we think may be of interest to you.
Processing necessary for us to support customers with enquiries
1. To respond to correspondence you send to us and fulfil the requests you make to us (for example, with regards to your finance agreement or account with us);
2. To provide vehicle support and services (for example, with regards to maintenance or insurance);
Processing necessary for us to respond to understanding customers’ needs
3. To analyse, evaluate and improve our products and services so that your visit and use of our website, applications, customer service centre and dealer network are more useful and enjoyable (we will generally use data gathered from many people so that it doesn’t identify you personally);
4. To undertake market analysis and research (including contacting you with customer surveys) so that we can better understand you as a customer and provide tailored offers, products and services that we think you will be interested in. We will only send marketing communications to you if you have provided your consent for us to do so or which we have obtained in the ways mentioned in the paragraphs below;
5. For product development purposes (for example to improve vehicle quality, performance and safety);
Processing necessary for us to promote our business, brands and products and measure the reach and effectiveness of our campaigns
6. To send you marketing information from time to time after you have purchased a product or service from us or made a purchasing enquiry, closed your browser with items in your shopping basket or requested a test drive, brochure or other information of interest. We will only contact you with information about our own products and services (and in ways the law allows), which we hope you will like. You have the right to object to us sending you this information at any time;
7. To contact you from time to time with marketing information (unless you object) if you have expressly indicated to us that you are acting on behalf of a business or where we have obtained your business contact details from our authorised dealer network or an online or public business directory. In relation to any such information we send by email or SMS, we will include an option allowing you to object to receiving future messages by unsubscribing;
8. To contact you with targeted advertising delivered online through social media and other platforms operated by other companies, unless you object. You may receive advertising based on information about you that we have provided to the platform or because, at our request, the platform has identified you as having similar attributes to the individuals whose details it has received from us. To find out more, please refer to the information provided in the help pages of the platforms on which you receive advertising from us;
10. To administer competitions and promotions that you enter with us from time to time and to distribute prizes;
11. To contact you when your local franchised retailer opens, closes or moves premises;
12. To obtain analytics including those received from search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of the site;
Processing necessary for us to operate the administrative and technical aspects of our business efficiently and effectively
13. To verify the accuracy of information that we hold about you and create a better understanding of you as a customer;
14. For network and information security purposes i.e. in order for us to take steps to protect your information against loss, damage, theft or unauthorised access;
15. To comply with a request from you in connection with the exercise of your rights (for example where you have asked us not to contact you for marketing purposes, we will keep a record of this on our suppression lists in order to be able to comply with your request);
16. To inform you of updates to our terms and conditions and policies, where possible;
Processing necessary for us to fulfil our legal obligations
17. To comply with our obligations before we provide finance, goods or services to you as both a responsible lender and FCA authorised firm, such as assessing creditworthiness and product suitability, verifying your identity, managing your account, tracing and recovering debts and preventing criminal activity. We will also continue to exchange information about you with CRAs on an ongoing basis, including about your settled accounts and any debts not fully repaid on time. CRAs will share your information with other organisations. If you have made a joint finance application to us, or tell us that you have a spouse or financial associate, we will link your records together, so you should make sure that you have discussed this with them, and share with them this information, before lodging the application. CRAs will also link your records together and these links will remain on your and their files until such time as you or your partner successfully files for a disassociation with the CRAs to break that link;
18. To prevent fraud and money laundering, and to verify identity before we provide services, goods or financing to you;
19. To ensure that we continue to fulfil our ongoing obligations with regards to preventing fraud and money laundering and to verify identity, in order to protect our business and to comply with laws that apply to us. If we, or a fraud prevention agency, consider you to pose a fraud or money laundering risk, we may refuse to provide the services and financing you have requested, or we may stop providing existing services to you. A record of any fraud or money laundering risk will be retained by the fraud prevention agencies, and may result in others refusing to provide services, financing or employment to you. If you have any questions about this, please contact us on the details below;
20. To enable us to assess fraud or money laundering risk by automated means, which may indicate that you pose a risk or if our processing reveals your behaviour to be consistent with that of known fraudsters or money launderers; or is inconsistent with your previous submissions; or you appear to have deliberately hidden your true identity. You have rights in relation to automated decision making: if you want to know more please contact the Data Protection Officer using the details below; and/or
21. To comply with other legal requirements (for example, to register your car with the DVLA).
Sometimes we will need to process your personal information to contact you if there is an urgent safety or product recall notice and we need to tell you about it.
Change of purpose
We will only use your personal information for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If we need to use your personal information for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so.
Please note that we may process your personal information without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.